Preview a College Course
Yale and MIT provide free and open access to a selection of courses taught by distinguished teachers and scholars. Before applying to either college, may I suggest you preview a course? It will make you a more informed applicant. Highly selective places like Yale & MIT would expect that you are involved in learning outside the Cheverus classroom. Have you explored Khan Academy? (free!) Check out Engineer4Free which offers college-level math, science & engineering classes.
Take a College Course
Want to take a college course while in high school? You have four local options:
- Take a Husson University course for $100 (plus cost of books) at their Southern Maine campus. Info and application here.
- SMCC offers high school students with a B average the opportunity to take courses. Only public school students can take courses for free. You may find that their courses are affordable, at $90/credit and most classes are 3 credits
- USM - The Early College Program at USM offers a half tuition discount for courses in many subjects during the fall and spring semesters (not summer semester). Juniors with a B are eligible. Note: public school students get a full tuition waiver, half from USM and half from the State of Maine. Cheverus students get a half-tuition waiver from USM.
- St Joseph's College of Maine offers an Early Scholars Program to 2nd semester juniors and seniors who have a B+ gpa for $100. Intro level courses (100 level) are available.
- UNE offers a seat, if available after UNE students have signed up, in some classes for free. Contact their Admissions Department for more information.
Take a Summer Course on a college campus. View the complete list here.
- University of Rochester offers 'pre college summer programs' for students going into grades 9-12.
- Notre Dame's is well known, as are Washington University's, Loyola Chicago's, Brown's, Georgetown's and Cornell's.
- Leadership Challenge Weekend on the military college campus of Norwich in Vermont.
- Performing Arts Camps for theatre, dance, film & media, or closer to home: Maine Media
- Worcester Polytechnic Institute offers lots of techy summer programs
- Juniors Statesman Foundation
- Want to be an art major? Maine College of Art offers a pre-college month in July.
- Want to major in culinary arts or hospitality management? Test drive the major at Johnson & Wales' inexpensive Career Explorations in Providence.
- Women only: Smith College in Mass offers summer programs in engineering, writing and history.
- Telluride Association Sophomore Seminars offer a free academic opportunity who wish to learn more about the topic of diversity in our culture.
- Abbey Road offers international programs in Europe or college prep programs in Boston & Stanford, CA.
- Oxbridge offers international programs in Europe and NYC.
links verified 3/2016